30 August 2006

Why Instruction Manuals Are A Good Thing

I think most of you are aware that I signed up for a beginner sewing class. Through osmosis and a seamstress mother I know the basics of sewing, but I have never been interested in sitting down and learning how to sew correctly. Sure I have made 2 throw bags and I'm quite impressed that they have not fallen apart yet as the first one was done mostly by hand. So last Saturday was my first class. I woke up a bit excited (cause i'm a dork) and packed everything. The machine, the manual, the pins and needles, the fabric and thread, you get the point. I even had to bring my own iron and towel. (Since I wasn't going to an established fabric store but the gay and lesbian center .. I had to bring everything but the kitchen sink.) I get my coffee and crap and head out the door. I was even 15 minutes early, which by LA standards, I was an hour early. But this is a good thing! As I start to set up my table I realize that I FORGOT THE POWER CORD! Argh! I knew I didn't have to dig to the bottoms of the two giant bags of stuff that I brought... I knew exactly where it was, yes, home in the dining room closest ... One shelf above where I keep the machine...

So, what did I do next? You know I ran my ass to my car, blew down Santa Monica Blvd like I was in labor, pulled in the driveway, threw the car in park, (blocked the only way in or out of the complex), ran inside, grabbed the cord and was right back in my seat in class within 15 minutes! To those of you who have ever driven down Santa Monica Blvd.. you know this was an amazing feat. Whew

So I arrive to class (on time, thank you very much) to the cheers "She made it" from 5 lovely gay men. I was the only girl. LOL.. bet you don't see that at many sewing classes...

Let me take a moment to describe some of the boys in the class. One purchased his extremely old machine from Out of the Closet, he has never sewn and brought a bag of fabric hoping to start a quilt. One forgot his power cord (not me) and didn't live close enough to fly home and get it. Another one was quite normal, normal as in he is somewhat familiar with sewing and read the instructors supply list and brought the proper fabric and notions. Then there is "Satin". Satin is special for a couple of reasons.
1-He brought satin fabric to class because he liked it better than "plain ol' cotton" that we are supposed to bring for our projects.

2-He purchased his machine the night before class.

3-He didn't think he needed the manual, so he didn't look at it.

4-drumroll please.......... he thought you used the foot pedal like a mouse. Yes, you read right! He actually said (with his hand on his hip). "How am I supposed to move the fabric if my hand is on the pedal"

Ok now, part of me felt bad for laughing out loud (i wasn't the only one) But part of me wanted to asked him where the hell he got that idea. I surveyed a few people in the past few days (all of whom have never sewn)... they ALL knew that the pedal goes on the floor...

At this point I realize that class is more remedial rather than beginner.. but at least I had a good laugh. And yes, I am going back for part 2 this saturday. I'll post picts of my projects and maybe my classmates (you can try to figure out which one is Satin).

10 Comments:

Blogger dizzy von damn! said...

hehehe.

but did you watch supernova???? ryan star???? gone?

10:21 PM  
Blogger tk said...

i know!! did you see Dilana.. she is like the female Rob Zombie!

7:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh how I would have LOVED to have been in that class!!

Not to intrude on the previous Supernova, but that's what I happened to be watching as I was sewing last night. Poor Ryan :-(
Dilana just plain scares me, although my 7-year-old daughter said, "Wow! I REALLY like her!"

Keep up the sewing . . .

10:35 AM  
Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Tami! I knew that you would be the star (super nova) in the sewing class. However, you won't burn out like a super nova does, I'm sure. Can't wait to see what you're sewing!

12:41 PM  
Blogger Laurie Ann said...

Please, oh, please post pictures. I laughed out loud at your Satin descriptions.

1:04 PM  
Blogger Sachi said...

LMAO!!! Oh, Satin. Someone might have dropped him on his head as a child.

1:22 PM  
Blogger The Absent Minded Housewife said...

Here from 25 peeps...

I'm a seamstress and costumer. HAPPY SEWING! It's truly becoming a lost art (as noted by the Satin's mouse pedal.)

I look forward to photos from your class.

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're on 25 peeps.
Congratulations!


Greets from Belgium

12:48 PM  
Blogger Dick said...

I found your site from your comment on Becky's Absent Minded Housewife blog. This is a neat read of what sounds like a fun class. Isn't "school" so much more fun when you are taking the class just because you want to? I have been having fun with digital photography related classes for the same reasons.

4:15 PM  
Blogger carlita dee said...

This is funnier than sh*t! I want to sew with Satin!

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home